Last Friday we decided was a good time as any to start getting Peyton to go to sleep earlier. I would have liked to have done this earlier with her, but we have been on the road so much this summer and have not been home by ourselves and I didn't want to make anyone else have to suffer no sleep. On Friday night I was hoping to get her to go down at 8:30pm, but it was more like 9:30pm before she went to sleep. Brandon and I were both surprised and happy when we woke up at 6am and had not heard anything out of her all night. We were thinking this is great and maybe won't be so bad. Oh how wrong we were! On Saturday I was more successful in getting Peyton to fall a sleep before 9pm, but then 4am hit and Peyton was not a happy baby anymore. The same on Sunday, bang 4 am not a happy baby. Again this morning I was up at 3:34am. I have been good at letting her cry (Dad couldn't take it on Sunday and messed things up by holding her while they slept in the recliner...Mom didn't know this until I went in and saw them) I will pick her up and comfort her for a little bit until she calms down and she will take her pacifier. This only works for a couple of minutes and then the crying starts again. So the last couple of nights I have been sleeping in her room from 4am until 6am on the comfy recliner and this morning I ended up on the floor because my back was hurting so bad. I know that we will all get through this very soon and things will be wonderful again. If anyone has any suggestions or advice that worked for them I have no problems listening. Please be thinking of us while we are going through this not so fun stage.
Here are some pictures of Peyton this week.
Yesterday I can home from work to see Peyton looking wiped out. She must of had an exciting and rough day at home with Dad. We are still working on getting all the crude out of her right eye. Lots of massages everyday even if she doesn't like it.

Peyton after getting her bath last night. One of the parents from the baseball team gave this K-State Powercat bath towel with her name on it. It is so cute!

We really need to work on getting more pictures of her with a smile and not so serious face. Check out those blue eyes!

Peyton and Daddy while Mommy was home for lunch today. This is one of the new outfits that Grandma Yoder got her over the weekend. We went to JC Penny and got all kinds of good things for next summer, but this was to cute to pass up for this summer.
5 comments:
When we did the cry/sleep thing with audrey we didn't really experience the wake up at an early hour- so I am not sure that what i tell you will help all that much, but... for what it's worth i know how much it sucks to listen to them cry and you want to run in there to get them- call us bad parents but I would just let her cry herself back to sleep. She would wake up occasionally earlier than expected like 6am and we don't get her up until 7:30- 8:00jeremy would always be the first to go in also if her heard her crying. What i did notice was that she would keep this pattern going for a while and i chalked it up to the fact that we were training her to know that we would come in and get her. So maybe give her 30 minutes or more to cry and see what happens. From what I know of the things you have done with her as far as feedings and such peyton responds very well to a schedule.So she at this point might be thinking the schedule is to wake up at 4am? Again I am definitely not an expert on the subject, but I can tell you when we ignored it all together and just made her cry herself to sleep again we seemed to break the cycle of am wake ups! Good Luck!! I know you enjoy your sleep almost as much as i do!
Eventhough I put Syd to bed around 9pm at Peyton's age, I would go in real late, before I went to bed, around 11 or 12 to see if I could get her to eat anymore before calling it a night. She was 11 weeks when I went back to work & this got her to sleep till 6 or 6:30 am when I had to get up & feed her anyway before heading off to work.
I'm not a steller example this time. Brody is 8 weeks & we're struggling with daytime & night-time sleep.
If you haven't already, try "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Baby" By Dr. Weissbluth
I would say Brenna's experience with Sydney is closest to what happens with Amelia. She goes to bed between 8:30 and 9:30. We have been moving from swing to crib in the past week or so, and now she sometimes wakes up on her own between 10:30 and 11:30. When she wakes up I go in right away and nurse her back to sleep. Then, because I have to go in to work earaly and live far from work, I always get up at 4:30 to feed her. Then I go back to sleep for a little bit and feed her again at 6 before I go to work. Sometimes she will wake up at odd times in the middle of the night but I always go in right away and nurse her back to sleep. I think one general theory of long sleep is to get the baby really tired beforehand. Have her play with her toys in her bouncer, take her on walks in her stroller (being outside seems to tire them out), take a long, active bath before bed, etc. As she starts teething, she will wake up more (sorry!), but it's also easier to get her physically tired during the day as she gets older.
Santiago still wakes up around 3 to 4 most mornings. I get a full nights sleep occasionally. Anyway, when he gets up I feed him, change him and soothe him and he usually goes right back to sleep. If all else fails, we have laid him in our bed between us so at least we can get some decent rest (I never get good sleep like this but it´s better than sleeping in the rocker).
You have a very beautiful little girl. What a sweet heart!!
Based on the photos you posted, I guessing your baby is 8 to 12 months old or younger.
It isn't unreasonalble to expect a baby of this age to wake up at least once during the night. Unfortunately, this doesn't always suit us but it is perfectly normal and should be expected.
Set up an evening routine for your baby, something simple that your husband will feel comfortable doing too if you are out.
Aim to get your baby into bed at the same time every night. 7:30pm is pretty typical and gives you baby the chance to have the 12 hours a night they need.
Offer a quiet feed at 10pm whether your baby wakes or not. It can make a real difference.
Be prepared for the fact you may have to be up again between 2am and 4am by agreeing who will get up, and have diapers and drinks ready to go (just offer water, not milk, if your baby is now eating solids during the day and had a top up feed at around 10pm).
Leaving yor baby to cry for long periods isn't a great idea. Nor is making yourself exhausted by sleeping uncomfortably next to the cot.
Expect young babies to wake up during the night and compensate by going to bed earlier yourself and napping when the baby does.
If you have to work during the day and lack of sleep is really interferring with it, you could try controlled crying. This differs from just leaving the baby to cry in that you are constantly checking on the baby and reassuring them while gradually leaving them alone for longer periods.
Your baby is already sleeping fairly well. I think if you work on a night time routine and top up feed you'll see longer periods of sleep for the whole family.
Post a Comment