Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Kamryn Shea Yoder

Kamryn Shea arrived on Sunday, May 23rd 2010. She was 7 lbs. and 19 1/2 inches long.
This is her birth story...
The week before Kamryn was born we had been to the doctor and were shocked that I was already 5cm dilated at 36 weeks. That made everything move in fast forward making sure that we had everything together for her arrival. Even though I was very excited for her to get here, I was okay if she wanted to hang out for a little while longer. She gave me a week and I will take that. It was a very long week to get through with lots on my mind. I wanted to make sure that she was going to be okay since she was going to be 3 weeks early. Also I was just really hoping to make it to my due date of July 12th, but Kamryn had other plans.
I woke up around 5am on Saturday with a huge contraction that lasted what seemed like 5 minutes. It had me on edge waiting for the next one but everything stopped and I went back to sleep. Later that day I was going to a friends baby shower, so I just did everything like I would normally on the weekends. I was having a few contractions here and there during the day, but nothing that was consistent. Dena could not get over the fact that I was out at her shower knowing that I could go into labor at anytime. Little did any of us know that I was starting to go into labor. When I got home I was cleaning up around the house and was still trying to get the girls room put together when the contractions started around 7pm. My contractions were about 10-15 minutes apart. My doctor had put me on the 10 minute watch earlier that week, so we knew that we needed to start packing the car. I am not sure what I was thinking, but I think that I was in denial that I was really going into labor because I just kept doing things around the house and made dinner for everyone (while having contractions!). Once Brandon convinced me that I needed to call Dr. Roles I had another huge contraction and said "Ok it is time to go". So we got in the car, dropped Peyton off at our friends house and headed to the hospital.
It was 9pm when we arrived at the hospital and got settled into our room. Since it was a Saturday I was unable to have my doctor and was dealing with the on-call doctor. I was still dilated to 5cm and my contractions stayed consistent around the 10 minute mark. The on-call doctor didn't want to make the call to break my water, so they decided to have me stay over night and wait until my doctor was on-call the next day. Yippee! What a fun night of restless sleep in a hospital bed. I can remember that around 1am I was just starting to fall asleep and some poor women in the room next to me was in full labor and screaming her head off. I was a little terrified and at the same time wishing that I was the one in full labor.
After a long night for both Brandon and I it was time to get things started. I was so happy when Dr. Roles walked in and was ready to get this show on the road. She was great and could tell that I had a long night and was ready to have this baby. Things started happening very quickly. They came in and started giving me the good drugs and all the pain went away. I was very nervous this time around because the meds made me very sick with Peyton. I made sure to let them know that I get sick and I would really like to try and avoid that this time around. I started to feel sick and they were there quickly to give me nausea medicine to take that away. It was great! Around 9:50am Dr. Roles came in and broke my water. We just hung out and watched my contractions on the monitor. Even though I was able to give myself more meds if I needed to I was still nervous that I was going to get sick so I would not push it even when the pain started to get worse. Around 11:30am the pain was getting really bad and Brandon told me that it would be okay to push the button for more meds, so I listen but it didn't help much. I know that it was stupid to have the meds if I didn't use them the way that I needed to, but I just didn't want to miss out on things like I did with Peyton because I was so sick. I hung in there a while longer, but I knew that there was a lot of pain for a reason so I called for the nurse to come and check things out. I was right and it was time to meet our little girl. Dr. Roles and all the nurses came in and started to get everything ready for the baby. It only took 3 pushes and Kamryn was born at 12:13pm. She was beautiful! I was so relived when the nurse let me know that she was healthy with good lungs. That morning I was warned by my delivery nurse that she might have some lung problems because she was 3 weeks early. My prayers were answered and our healthy baby girl was doing great.
Kamryn was already such an easy baby from the beginning. She didn't cry much and was a good girl on the first night at the hospital to let me get some sleep. Kamryn was scoring good grades on every test, but was very lazy when it came time to eat. She ended up dropping to 6lbs. 6oz. the day we left the hospital and they almost kept us another night to watch her. On her first doctors appointment she again dropped to 6lbs. 4oz and the doctor had me start to supplement a bottle with each feeding. That did the trick! On the next appointment she started to gain weight and we didn't need to go back until her 1 month appointment.
Here are many pictures from the week that Kamryn was born.
Dena and I at her baby shower
Peyton hanging out in the car seat while we are getting everything together
37 weeks and last picture before Kamryn was born

Kamryn Shea has arrived!
KAMRYN!
Getting all checked out
Proud Daddy holding Kamryn for the first time
First picture with Mommy and Daddy
Loving his girl
She found her thumb
Taking her first bath
Hanging out under the warmer
Daddy taking in some time with Kamryn before Peyton came to see her sister
Daddy showing Peyton her baby sister Kamryn for the first time
First thing Peyton wanted to do was to hold her sister
Grandma Reiff meeting Kamryn for the first time
Grandpa Reiff holding Kamryn
Mommy and Peyton
Big Sister Peyton!
Uncle Drew meeting Kamryn for the first time
Peyton helping Grandma Reiff with Kamryn
She was so excited that her baby sister was here
First Yoder Family picture with Kamryn
Daddy relaxing with Kamryn
Love that face!
Showing that it can be done...Daddy can change a diaper
Mommy with her baby girlHappy Daddy with his girl
Dressed in our going home outfit
We are so excited that we are getting to take Kamryn home
Headed to the car
Kamryn is all buckled up and ready for the ride home
Again love this girl!
Kamryn at home 1 week old
Peyton and Kamryn hanging out at home together for the first time
Kamryn getting her first bath at home


This was a very long post...so if you have stayed around this long, Thank you!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Great pictures, Kelly! Brought back memories for me- seems like FOREVER ago! How time flies...
Great seeing you Saturday although entirely too short of a visit. We HAVE to get together soon- Cathy and I are having Brooks and Easton blessed at Walnut Gardens on August 22nd. It'd be awesome if you and Brandon just happened to be in town that weekend. Two birds with one stone!!! We'll talk soon!

Tayarra said...

Glad to see this. You all look great. She looks so much like Brandon in these pics. Congratulations again, you guys! I'm glad everything went well!